Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Joy and Pain of Cutting

Last night, we did a very rough edit of the whole film! It looks like the running time will end up being around 5 minutes when finished...shorter than I thought, but perfect for the Project: Direct Sundance contest. Everyone tells me that shorter is better when it comes to a short film. Nick's working on the opening titles, but I haven't seen them yet. Knowing him, they'll be awesome!
I'm learning a lot about what to do different next time through the cutting process. It's a great learning experience for me. The hardest thing is saying goodbye to shots I love because they don't work. But alas, it's for the good of the film! All directors probably go through the same pain. I think it's a good thing to have someone besides the director doing the editing. A subjective pair of eyes (or two...thanks to Buddy!) is great to have!
More news to come...

No comments:

 
Webpage Design and Site Photography Property of Jonathan Taylor Photography | 2008